Featured Image, is an image that is chosen as the representative image for Posts, Pages or Custom Post Types.
The function of featured images varies depending on where they are used. Featured images can be used to represent a visual thumbnail element for post descriptions or excerpts, they are used to visually represent a post as slide in the featured slider, or they can be used in pages as a visual element. In the case of both post or pages, adding a featured image is roughly the same process with some minor differences depending on the use.
Adding a Featured Image
- Add or edit page/post
- Find the Featured Image widget box and click “Set featured image/ Remove featured image” (If Featured Image widget box is missing, Find screen options, top right, and check off Featured Images from the options)
- Select or add feature image
- Click “Add feature image” button
- Feature Image added but not yet visible in page or post
Show Featured Image in Feature Slider
Simply make sure your post with the Featured Image is in the corresponding category that feeds to the Featured slider.
Featured Slider image size dimensions for the default slider is 770x350px
Find more on the Feature Slider dimensions and templates
Show Featured Image in Post
By default, WordPress does not show the featured image directly into the post. In order to add this feature you will need to add the Featured Image shortcode in the posts body and wrap it in the tag.
How It’s Done
<img src="[the_post_thumbnail_src]" alt="Images Title" />
Show Featured Image in Page
Featured Images dimensions are 320px X 320px. Read more on featured images dimensions and templates.
By default, WordPress does not automatically show the featured image directly into the page. The process requires finding the Section Widget named Featured Images and checking of the specific page needed to show the Featured image.
How It’s Done
Step by step walk through
- Go to Dashboard/Appearance/Widgets
- Find Widgetized area named “Before Content”
- Open Section Widget named Featured Images
- Select the page name you wish to have the feature image show
- Click Save